Wednesday, December 08, 2010

yet another update

Sorry for the uber long absence, here are a few updates for those who are curious as to what I’ve been up to.

After I came back from London, I bummed about a bit. Then in the 2nd week of November, I began an attachment in a firm in kuching. I initially planned to stop in early dec, but since I felt that I was learning a lot and the people were nice, I decided to stay till the end of dec.

So I will most probably send my CV to the kl firms in the end of dec and go to kl in jan to begin interviews. The firm I have my eyes on begins chambering sessions in feb, so im hoping to score an interview with them in early jan. that way if they don’t accept me, I’ll still have time to apply with other firms, instead of wasting the whole of jan waiting and hoping.

Why am I choosing to chamber in KL instead of in my hometown, kuching? Simply because I want the flexibility of choice in the future, whether to work in KCH or KL. For the uninitiated, West Msia and Sabah and Sarawak have different laws. The majority of laws are the same, but certain laws (eg. Land laws) are different. Therefore to work in west msia, one would have to chamber for 9 months in west msia. And to work in east misa, one would have to chamber for 12 mths here. However, if one has chambered for 9 months in west msia already, one can apply for an exemption and chamber for an additional 3 months in Sarawak, instead of 12.

So what im planning to do is to chamber 9 months in KL 1st, then come back and do the remaining 3 months. But of course, this plan is subject to change. Like if for example, if I get offered retainment in the firm I chamber in in KL, and the terms of retainment are attractive, I will doubtless reconsider.

Some people I’ve spoken to think it’s a waste of time for me to do chambering in kl. The reason being “its not like u want to live there right?” my answer to that is that I don’t know. If you know me well enough, im not one of those people that ABSOLUTELY HAS to live at home with my family. In fact, im much happier living alone and it irks me to be dependant on people -which I inadvertently become when I live at home.

This in no way means that im not close to my family. I’d even go as far as to say that my family enjoys a rapport beyond which a lot of families I’ve observed have. Its just that I like doing my own thing too much. After 5 years of living away from home and fending for myself, I feel stifled and overly dependent on my parents when im at home.

Sure, its all too easy to just live at home and have my meals and laundry taken care of, but I feel more in control living alone when I dictate WHEN I eat, WHAT I eat, WHERE I go, WHEN I go out and what TIME I wake up. Hmm.. that just made me sound like such a control freak. Hahaha…

Anyway, my point was that im not a planner and I prefer to just go as life leads me. It has led me pretty well thus far and im rather confident that it will continue to do so ;)

Also, I think while there are many perks to working in kuching (mostly that it saves money and my family is here) there are also many benefits to working in KL. Ie. Higher pay (which is significantly eroded by the high cost of living plus rent – if I don’t stay with my uncle), more work experience (more diverse range of cases), and independence (FTW =p). well, ofcourse there are the crazy working hours… but I guess I’ll survive 0.o

Fine, I also don’t deny that living in London has left me rather spoilt for city life. Not that kuching is not a city, but its just not big and messy enough. It doesn’t have enough clothes or food (2 things I love) choices.

And KL is near enough that I can fly back whenever I feel like I need some family TLC :D

So I guess that’s all folks!

No comments:

Switch menu